3-year-old seriously injured in Hope shooting is critical, but stable, awaiting surgery

Kingston Perez

COLUMBUS, Ind. — A 3-year-old child who was shot last week at his home in Hope is in critical but stable condition at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis, his father said Tuesday.

Kingston Perez and his father, George Perez Jr., 36, were shot in their home in Hope on Thursday night, with law enforcement later apprehending Robbie L. Perez, 35, brother to George Perez, Jr. as a suspect in the shooting.

As of Tuesday afternoon, George Perez Jr. said that Kingston is in a medically-induced coma to prevent further brain damage. He was expected to undergo surgery later on Tuesday.

Kristy Gale has launched a GoFundMe campaign to help the family with medical bills, with a goal of raising $10,000. To donate, go to gofundme.com and search “Praying for Kingston recovery.”

George Perez Jr. said that donations will go toward whatever costs he needs to cover to take care of Kingston.

“If he pulls through this and is going to be able to have some quality of life, then that money will help provide that quality of life,” he said.

At 11:25 p.m. Thursday, sheriff’s deputies were sent to the 300 block of Elm Street in Hope where they found George Perez Jr. and Kingston Perez, who had both been shot. The two victims were transported by Lifeline helicopter to Indianapolis Thursday night, and George Perez Jr. was released from an Indianapolis hospital on Friday morning, said Bartholomew County Sheriff’s Department Spokesman Sgt. Dane Duke.

Investigators said that Robbie Perez later shot himself near Whiteland following a pursuit by Franklin police on Friday morning. As of Monday, he was in unknown condition at Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in Indianapolis.

Bartholomew County Sheriff Chris Lane said in a previous interview that a corrections officer is with Robbie Perez at Eskenazi and will stay there while the suspect remains in the hospital, possibly as long as into next week. When he is released, he will be transported to the Bartholomew County Jail, Lane said.

The suspect is being held on two charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and a court order for no bond in the case, according to arrest records.

For more on this story, see Wednesday’s Republic.