Here are answers to frequent recycling questions

We get many questions at the Bartholomew County Solid Waste Management District about recycling. I thought I would cover some of the frequent questions we receive year-round by phone calls, emails and Facebook.

Q: Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs and tube lighting are hazardous. Where can I recycle my CFL and tube lighting?

A: CFL bulbs do contain mercury and should not be put in the trash can. Unbroken compact, fluorescent bulbs and unbroken fluorescent tube lights can be brought to the Columbus/Bartholomew Recycling Center, 720 S. Mapleton St., during our Tox-A-Way Wednesday program for recycling.

Tox-A-Way Wednesday is 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Wednesday. Also, we take oil-based paints, antifreeze, motor oil and much more from Bartholomew County residents.

Q: I purchased a new television or computer. Where can I reuse or recycle my old television or computer?

A: Through our Expanded Electronics Recycling Program you can recycle televisions and computers as well as most electronics and small appliances that utilize a cord. This program is available at both the Columbus/Bartholomew Recycling Center and Bartholomew County Landfill, 811 E. County Road 450S, during normal hours of operation. This is a free program available to Bartholomew County residents.

Q: I work during the day until 5 p.m. Where can I recycle?

A: There are several options for evening recycling in Columbus. The Columbus/Bartholomew Recycling Center is open until 6 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday. Also, the Recycling Center is open from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.

For more information, go online at or our Facebook page by searching for Bartholomew County Solid Waste District.

Ross Keller is the Bartholomew County Solid Waste Management District’s education coordinator. Contact him by by email at or by calling 812-376-2614 (press 5 then 4).