A vacant home at 2212 Cherry St. had extensive damage after a discarded cigarette resulted in a fire causing about $20,000 damage.

Columbus firefighters were sent to the home at about 2 a.m. today and found heavy smoke coming from the back of the home.

Firefighters determined no one was in the single-story brick home and extinguished the fire within minutes at the rear of the home’s interior.

The fire is believed to have started in a kitchen/utility area, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

The home had been under renovation since August, and firefighters believe the fire was caused by discarded smoking material placed in a combustible container, Wilson said. Firefighters found cigarette butts were discarded in a cardboard box filled with trash, Wilson said. No injuries were reported.

For more on this story, see Friday’s Republic.