Columbus firefighters worked with Vectren Energy employees to repair a gas leak in Candlelight Village.

Firefighters were sent to the 2800 block of Rosewood Lane at 10:54 a.m. Thursday after a report of a possible gas leak, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighters and Vectren employees determined the leak happened when Candlelight Village maintenance staff were preparing a new home for utility connections, Wilson said.

Maintenance crews were using a trenching machine to bury electrical service lines between the new home and the electrical service panel when the trencher struck a buried gas line, Wilson said.

The maintenance staff called 911 and evacuated one home closest to the gas leak, Wilson said. Firefighters closed the street to keep vehicles away.

Vectren determined the leak was coming from a 1-inch gas line that supplied four homes, Wilson said.

Vectren workers dug about 20 inches into the ground to locate the gas line and capped it, repairing the line quickly so service to other homes was not disrupted. Vectren confirmed that the utility location survey was completed before work at the site.

No injuries were reported, Wilson said.

Author photo
Julie McClure is assistant managing editor of The Republic. She can be reached at jmcclure@therepublic.com or (812) 379-5631.